Wednesday, August 26, 2009

stay with me on this one...

And I will try and keep it on track. I promise to try to keep the thoughts concise, because GOD knows I just love words.
Background to the Oprah "A-ha" moment: Baby Girl #1 cruised in at just after 5AM this morning. We had what amounts to disagreeable words. By this I mean no yelling or smashing of household objects. But from this, I have found some understanding of what (my opinion) is the BIG ISSUE, in this whole messy dynamic. So, here it goes.
There is a line you just don't cross when it comes to other people and their children. Meaning - regardless of your personal prejudice regarding a parent in question, you just don't assume you know better when it comes to their kids. Regardless of who that parent happens to be to you. (list of possibilities: your co-worker, your sister/brother, your neighbor, your own adult child, your niece.) It's just that basic. Or at least I thought it was.
You may not like someone. You may not like me. But you cross a principal line when you go so far as to presume to know better about how my child should be raised.
Much less act on it.
Granted, most would agree there are categories of "Clearly Wrong" that require swift and focused intervention. These include but are not limited to, the parent is:
1) a drunk, 2) a drug addict, 3) physically abusive, 4) mentally/emotionally abusive *please take caution with #4. If used in a cavalier manner this can become an ugly mess if you're not willing to point the critical finger right back at yourself.
Why is this so complicated for some?
I don't know. I have no illusions about being a flawless human. Have no gripe with being found want in the many flavors of my temperament. I am a taste of personality not loved or even palatable to all. And to loosely plagiarise a line off a new up coming movie "My life is a working experiment in bad decisions." And, I accept total blame for assuming that when it comes to the idea that there is line you just don't cross, that all grown-ups know this, feel this, live this.

I was wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment